PROGRAM OPEN NOW AND ONGOING!
The ReEntry Theatre Program is now an ongoing weekly program. Participation is free and everyone who has experienced incarceration in jails, prisons, or drug rehabilitation programs is welcome to attend.
WHEN: Mondays from 1pm-3pm
WHERE: Southside Community Center, 305 South Plain Street in Ithaca.
WHAT: Community, Theatre, Dialogue, Snacks!
CONTACT: Sarah K. Chalmers, TEXT: 917-603-0621, EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
You do not have to fill out an application to attend. Just show up to the meeting to sign up.
What is the ReEntry Theatre Program?
- An opportunity for those who have experienced incarceration at any time in their lives to take part in an arts-based program. Those returning from jail, prison, or a drug rehabilitation program welcome.
- Participants will work with theatre professionals from Civic Ensemble to learn theatre skills, develop scenes and plays based on the ideas each individual brings, and build community together.
- Participants will work together to develop material and make decisions about when and where they would like to perform.
- During the sessions we will engage in theatre games, writing exercises, discussions about topics participants care about and want to work on, and planning future activities..
- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A WRITER, ACTOR, OR HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE TO PARTICIPATE.
- Civic Ensemble will help coordinate transportation for those who could not otherwise participate.
- Some child care assistance is available for those who could not otherwise participate.
- Those who attend the program need a place free of drugs, weapons or activities that would threaten their legal standing. These things threaten our group and meeting place. Please do not bring these items into the space. Those currently under the influence of drugs or alcohol should not attend the session. Long term sobriety is not a requirement of membership, but those under the influence will not be able to participate fully in the group on any given day.
Here’s what past participants had to say about their experiences:
This has been a positive experience for me that I believe would be a wonderful addition
to anyone’s recovery or reentry program.
I was nervous at first but this was a new step in my life and I found talent I didn’t
know I had. The exercises and activities for writing and acting helped me
understand emotions and expression.
There’s a feeling of family, like there’s someone in my life.
I wasn’t full of trust for this at the beginning but I learned to
trust the process.
I got to know the Civic artists and understand
that they cared about my growth and development.
The reentry program has changed the way I think
and it has made me want to get more out of life. The program
has given me strength to overcome my obstacles of being a felon.
I have more faith in myself and I was able to use
the things I learned in the program to get a job.
If you or someone you know would benefit from an experience that builds skills, community, and confidence, you may contact email@example.com, 917-603-0621 for more information or just show up to a Monday Session!